Re: another APX oops moment

On Sep 5, 1:44=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sep 5, 12:50=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > > One of the reasons why is because Napco is very limited to what event=
> > > the zones can send (yea I know Jim)
>
> > That has absolutely no bearing on the point that sometimes poor phone
> > conditions of the phone line provided by the phone company fail to tran=
smit
> > tones without echo or distortion to the central station resulting in
> > swingers or runaways. =A0Yet, on those same crappy phone lines provided=
 by the
> > phone company and not provided in any way by Napco pulse format reporti=
ng
> > works just fine. =A0Even with FBI, DSC, & Ademco =A0panels. =A0Yes I do=
 have some
> > of those in the field also.
>
> > Yes, sometimes I get a little annoyed by the lack of selection options =
on
> > the smaller panels, but for more advanced applications I use the 9600 a=
nd
> > X255 anyway. =A0Also, my CS will allow me to customize at their end eas=
ily
> > anyway. =A0I don't even have to ask them to do it. =A0I make the custom
> > reference fields, handling and reporting myself via their on-line inter=
face.
> > Heck. =A0I can even do it from my mobile now.-
>
> Well, Bob, you know the story. The level of the installers that Mark
> deals with aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer so he doesn't take
> to much to a panel that gives the installer all the options that a
> Napco panel does. It just means that he's got to spend much more time
> trying to explain to them how to program over the phone.

One of the bigger problems I have encountered with all this digital
phone stuff like FIOS and Comcast etc. is the phone line monitor is
really useless at this point because if cable or fiber gets cut there
is still voltage on line to panel. from the battery back up unit.
I have explained this to customers and given them the cellular option
and some who are worried have added the extra protection.  Because
they figured before  at least the  alarm going off would scare the
burglar away.