Re: Window Screen Tamper

On May 23, 10:12=EF=BF=BDpm, "ABLE1" <royboynos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By a 'Hipot Tester' =EF=BF=BDyou mean a Megger(brand name). =EF=BF=BDI ha=
ve used a Megger to
> test insulation on motor windings to ensure the resistance is within corr=
ect
> values after a motor re-wind and it did not have any possible shorts to t=
he
> motor case. =EF=BF=BDIt may work in this case but I would think it is que=
stionable.
> I say this because it would seem to me that the insulation at the point o=
> failure would have to be in close proximity to the frame if not touching =
it.
> That being said, how can this be assured inside of the frame?? =EF=BF=BDT=
hen again
> maybe a tolerance value can be developed if you do enough QC and a bell
> curve can be produced. =EF=BF=BDThe voltage on the contacts would not be =
an issue
> unless it is directly shorted to the frame.

I'm not so sure about that. If there is any resistance ( which there
will be) across the contacts of the reed, the Hypot could cause an arc
and either burn or weld the contacts together.

> Thanks for reminding me about the Megger, it has been over 20 years since=
> used one. =EF=BF=BDVery helpful input.
>
> I am sure that some here are thinking that I am just rambling. =EF=BF=BDW=
ell I am.
> But my hope is that it may help someone other than me, in some way in the
> future.

> Les

There are no moderators here. Ramble away.

Any thoughts about taking a bad screen apart?  You probably wouldn't
have to destroy the frame to find the problem. You'd just have to
trace the wire, inch by inch until you discovered the point(s) of high
resistance. Then you could bring the screen back to the vender and
actually point at the problem(s). If you're really looking to help
others, I'd think that ... that would be a better way to accomplish
that end then just writing about it here.

My guess would be that the problem lies in their caulking/sealent
application at their solder joints, the type of solder/resin they are
using or when they stretch the screen over the edge of the frame ( I'm
assuming a metal frame) with the vinyal binding insert. All you need
is a single wire submersed in water with a voltage on the wire to
cause the problem.