Low Cost Security Alarm ?

I know that this is a very general question, but what is a very good, basic,
simple to install home security alarm ?   I don't need monthly monitoring,
etc, just a system that will sound an outside alarm when door and window
switches are set off.

I have had a simple, wired system from Radio Shack for many years, but the
control unit has become defective.  So, I could stay with a wired system, or
would consider wireless.

Is there anything decent in the  $150  range ??

Thanks !!

James