Re: Downloading Panels Via VoIP

On Apr 16, 3:50=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2:04=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Apr 16, 12:32 pm, Jim Rojas <jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Ok...since many of you are having these issues, I think I will start
> > > this thread sharing what I have found out using trial and error.
>
> > > Vonage: You can download most panels through Vonage. You just have to
> > > have the customer max out the bandwidth, shut off voice mail if you n=
eed
> > > a high ring count, and remove any dual ring & message forwarding.
> > > Shutdown all computers until you are done. Once the download is
> > > completed, the customer can put all settings as they were. Contact ID
> > > seems to work fine. SIA, or any format that has long strings should b=
> > > avoided.
>
> > > MagicJack: Napco panels seems to download fine with no issues.
> > > Everything else is a shot in the dark. It all depends on bandwidth. M=
ake
> > > sure no other computers are using any bandwidth.
>
> > > Cable VoIP: Should not be an issue other than having to reverse or
> > > bypass the line seizure altogether. Echo problems can occur.
>
> > > FiOS VoIP: The cleanest connection of all. Might have echo issues due=
> > > long distance data compression.
>
> > > Unfiltered DSL: Have customer unplug DSL modem. Wait 5-10 minutes, th=
en
> > > try to download the panel.
>
> > > Other Notes: Make sure you turn your modem speaker on low or medium s=
> > > you get an idea what's going on at all times.
>
> > > If you are getting heavy echos on the line, just turn on your
> > > speakerphone like you would on Napco panels. This seems to work on DS=
> > > panels well.
>
> > > Jim Rojas
>
> > I wont hook to Vonage. My reasoning is (and now with your experience
> > above to support it) If you can have problems downloading there's
> > every reason to suspect that there is a possibility that it wont
> > communicate during an alarm condition. That is, unless we can get the
> > intruder to max out the bandwidth, shut off voice mail and remove any
> > dual ring & message forwarding and shutdown all computers before he
> > breaks in.
>
> RHC: I agree completely !!!! I go one step further and refuse to hook
> up an alarm panel to ANY version of VoIP except the cable service
> offering (which is kind of like an internal VoIP service that doesn't
> go out over the internet). If they don't have a telco line or cable
> phone, and don't want to use a cellular backup device, they can damn
> well go somewhere else for their service. There are lots of money
> hungry companies around that care more about their money than their
> security......
>
> It's interesting to note the monitoring station I use feels the same
> way; they've had far too many troubles with VoIP connected alarms (no
> signals, intermittent signals, dispatches to the wrong account etc as
> information gets garbled on the internet). The ONLY IP module they
> [...]

Here is a piece I did while back dealing with this situation enjoy

Ensuring your Alarm Signals
Reach the Central Station in the age of Digital Phone Lines

By: Nick Markowitz Jr.

The problem happens more often in residential systems but the
commercial alarm side sees its share of these problems as well. A
customers alarm goes off but the Central Station does not receive the
signal. After a tech is sent to investigate it is found that the
customer has switched to a new phone carrier and the phone line was
hooked up wrong or the format being sent by the panel is incorrect.
Now what? I have been dealing with this for many years now and I have
some tips which can help guide you thru the jungle that has been
created out there with all the different phone carriers including
preventive measures which can warn you when a problem develops.

Tip 1. All panels should be set to send a test signal even if the
panel can only be set for 30 days you will eventually know something
is wrong when you do not get the test ideally if panel can be set to
weekly is even better. When your customer gets the fail to communicate
at there panels hopefully they will call you.

Tip 2. If you send out a newsletter or even with monthly billing , be
sure to let customers know to alert you when they change phone service
and to also test there alarm before the phone installer leaves to make
sure it is working properly.

Tip 3. set the panel to communicate with Contact ID  , SIA or Modem II
formats these are true digital formats which digital phone lines have
an easier time transmitting and the noise on digital lines  can
confuse older 3/1 4/1 formats and trick them into thinking they
communicated.  If one of the modern formats is not available use
BFSK-4/2 format which also works well with digital in fact some
customers who switch to VOIP style phone service you will find 4/2 is
only format which will transmit over VOIP.

Tip 4. Shut off the rotary back up feature and use only touchtone
dialing many digital lines no longer recognize rotary and if they do
it must be much slower than most panels dial. Shutting off rotary can
help insure a signal gets thru as many panels try touchtone then
switch to rotary which can slow the panel from getting thru on
additional tries.

Tip.5 Use the alternative 10 digit non toll free number for back up in
case the toll free number is not working properly also do not forget
the 1 digit at beginning of the 10 digit number.

Tip 6. Many of my high risk commercial fire customers who are using
digital phone lines
I have added a Cell back up unit to make sure the signal gets thru

Tip 7.  Make sure the Channel bank or other digital phone line
interface is backed up with adequate sized UPS to increase battery
life to required 24 hr back up.

Tip 8. I set where possible panels which are on Digital lines to send
there AC loss signals
As soon as possible so it is known there is a problem on site before
digital phone lines go down.  By the time batteries go low on a fire
system and it try=92s to send a signal  the digital phone service may
already be out. Not a good situation on a long holiday weekend.

Tip 9. Where possible if downloading is available to a panel an
occasional look-in with software on a long weekend can help insure
peace of mind and catch problems.

These tips are what I am using to make sure signals get thru and it
has helped greatly in catching phone problems before a tragedy
happens.