Re: OT-Westboro Baptist Church

"Doug" <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>There's something about this that irritates the shit out of me.
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/westboro.baptist.snyder/index.html?hpt=T1

What a perversion of the legal system.  I remember the day of the funeral and
seeing those people protesting made me angry and really sad.  I feel so badly
for what the 150 or so families have had to deal with on the toughest day of
their lives.  And it makes me sick that our government allows 1st amendment
rights of those sleezeballs to supercede all that is good and decent.

At the time, there was talk of Congress writing a bill to ban protestors (or
anyone not authorized) from the public cemetery grounds on days that military
funerals were taking place.  I guess that's one more thing to add on to loooong
list that they promise to do, then ultimately fail.  It's very sad just thinking
about all those families have been through.

Then President Bush should have made an executive order to shut down this type
of harassment.  Hell, have you ever been around when any sitting president
visits your city?  They set zones of protection up to the extent it causes air
delays and major traffic jams.  Why can't the same be done on a much smaller
scale for our Veterans on the day they are honored for giving their lives for
the Country's sake?   Pres. Obama  should do it now, since an executive order
seems to be the only way to actually get something done.