Re: Telco / Cable company alarm jack connection problems

tourman wrote:
> A significant number of my trouble calls are from clients who's panels
> are beeping because either the telephone company or the cable company
> went in and during either an installation or conversion, messed up the
> alarm system line connections. I'd like to know what other companies
> are doing to resolve this, or how you handle calls like this.
>
> The obvious way is to simply charge the client for a service call;
> however, that seems somewhat unfair since it was caused by an outside
> incompetent source. But when the client goes back and complains to the
> phone or cable company, it might catch their attention. I'd really
> like to get to the source of the problem and stop it (hell....five
> minutes training on proper alarm jack wiring would solve it....)
>
> I've also tried billing the phone company in the past, but that's an
> impossibility, since they don't even acknowledge the bill. I doubt the
> cable company would respond any differently.This might seem like an
> obvious question, but I would like suggestions on how to approach this
> large and growing problem.
>
> Any SERIOUS suggestions ?

I'd suggest you post a sign by the D-Marc (inside the cover of the box
would be an ideal location).  Nice big red letters.  "This home is
equipped with a monitored alarm system.  Please ensure you test the
alarm system before leaving."  Works in our neck of the woods!