Telco / Cable company alarm jack connection problems

A significant number of my trouble calls are from clients who's panels
are beeping because either the telephone company or the cable company
went in and during either an installation or conversion, messed up the
alarm system line connections. I'd like to know what other companies
are doing to resolve this, or how you handle calls like this.

The obvious way is to simply charge the client for a service call;
however, that seems somewhat unfair since it was caused by an outside
incompetent source. But when the client goes back and complains to the
phone or cable company, it might catch their attention. I'd really
like to get to the source of the problem and stop it (hell....five
minutes training on proper alarm jack wiring would solve it....)

I've also tried billing the phone company in the past, but that's an
impossibility, since they don't even acknowledge the bill. I doubt the
cable company would respond any differently.This might seem like an
obvious question, but I would like suggestions on how to approach this
large and growing problem.

Any SERIOUS suggestions ?