Re: Gate Sensor?

On Nov 16, 12:26=EF=BF=BDam, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "Frank Olson" wrote:
>
> > This is a gate to an RV pad...
>
> Thanks. =EF=BF=BDI missed that.
>
> > I don't think the mailman, newspaper carrier, or
> > the UPS driver will be using it. =EF=BF=BDParticularly if it's
> > got a sign on it that says it's "alarmed"...
>
> Probably not.
>
> > The best suggestion was the use of a camera
> > and DVR combination.
>
> That depends on what is being done once the zone is tripped. =EF=BF=BDIf =
the output is
> wired to a burglar alarm zone, I'd hesitatate to rely exclusively on vide=
> motion. =EF=BF=BDToo many false alarms. =EF=BF=BDOTOH, if the video is go=
ing to be remotely
> monitored, that would be fine. =EF=BF=BDOtherwise, I'd prefer there be at=
 least one
> other sensor ANDed to the output.
>
> > You can set up the camera to switch the alarm output
> > when movement of the gate is detected. =EF=BF=BDThen you'll
> > have an image of the perp for the cops to see as well.
>
> Nice, as long as you're doing something "else" to limit false alarms. =EF=
=BF=BDYour
> thoughts?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

In my case it was a fenced storage yard for a company. Locked at
night, six days a week and all day Sundays and holidays. An occasional
cat or other animal would trip it but with remote viewing, it could be
determined what had tripped it. I hooked a speaker and a Visonic audio
board with a "You have been detected" message and turned on lights.to
the alarm output of the DVR.

The company would pre-load their delivery trucks for next day
deliveries. With ( illegal) barbed wire on the tops of the fence, the
crooks had busted the chain on the gate and emptied the trucks. The
client didn't want to go for the CCTV as first recommended because of
the cost but when the gate contacts became too much of a maintinence
problem and failed in the closed condition once (which went undetected
for who knows how long)

They apparently made more attempts which we believed to have been
considered false alarms at the time and apparently after discovering
that the gate was protected, they cut the barbed wire, jumped the
fence and raided the trucks.

Only one more (failed) attempt was made after the cameras were
installed.

So the crooks learned and the client learned the hard way.