Re: Gate Sensor?

"CH®IS" wrote:

> [snip some valid stuff]
>
> The pull apart switch may be a good solution for you...

I have only one objection to pull apart sensors.  You have to remember to
reconnect them every time you use the gate.  Homeowners may be good at
remembering but the mailman, newspaper carrier, UPS drivers, etc., are not
likely to do it.  That means every time someone other than a family member
leaves the property it's necessary to go out and fix the thing again.  My guess
is that after a while they'll stop using it and just bypass the zone.

The problem with gates becoming misaligned is true with older fences.  Newer
ones may hold up better for some years.  I've used GE Security's wide gap
sensors for gates on a number of sites with fairly good results.  The sensors
have a 3" gap.  During installation I try to get them no more than 1/2" apart.
That way if they move out an inch or two over time the zone is still good.

I used GE's overhead door contacts for the same reason.  In Connecticut winters
there were frequent snow storms.  When snow and ice would build up the doors
didn't always close completely.  By placing the magnet on top of the door where
it had to pass by the contact I got almost 5-inches of play before the sensor
would trip.  With a gate contact you don't have a way to extend the coverage
like that but the 3" gap is often enough.

Finally, if you use a clamp method to hold the magnet to the gate, you can avoid
drilling lots of holes.  If the client is in the least bit handy, show him how
to adjust the set screws once a year.  Otherwise make it part of your annual
inspection and service visit.  Some things just always need attention. :(

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics