> On Nov 25, 12:58�am, Frank Olson
> <use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Effenpig1 wrote:
>>> Your above statement sounds like something I could have written,
>>> however I believe it is in my best future interests to start getting
>>> my customers used to the idea of locked-in contracts. I was thinking
>>> of giving them the option to "freeze" their current rates for the
>>> length of the contract as an incentive.
>> That's exactly what we do. �We've been able to demonstrate that our
>> rates haven't changed in over 12 years. �We offer a 3 year agreement
>> that's renewable at one year intervals on expiry of the original
>> agreement. �I have customers actually calling me asking to "extend" for
>> another three years!! �:-)-
>
> In the context of the subject of this thread and assuming that someday
> you will want to sell the company; it would seem to me that any
> potential buyer, seeing that you haven't raised your prices in 12
> years, would not look at that favorably. They would have to think that
> upon buying the company, if they raised prices, they would lose
> customers. And I'm assuming that you are talking about monitoring
> prices only.
>
> With either short OR long term contracts in place, certainly, if for
> no other reason, shouldn't your prices have been increased to at least
> reflect the natural increase in doing business? I'm sure you're paying
> your personel more now than you did 12 years ago and if you include
> the increase in every thing else over 12 years...... You've got to be
> getting income from somewhere to be in business that long but not
> increasing prices just because of the minor objection you might get
> from a few clients, doesn't seem to me to be a good policy. Increasing
> the monthly monitoring fee by a relatively small amount over the
> years, is not something that 99.9% of your clients would object to.
> I'm sure that YOU expect things to go up, why would you not think that
> your clients would not expect things to go up also?
>
> I can understand that you might be increasing your installation prices
> to compensate for the increase in cost of doing business, and the
> relative decrease in monitoring income over the years, but that's
> contrary to the customary ....................  monitoring income
> supplementing the installation income. When someone looks to buy a
> company, annual income in considered but it is usually offset somewhat
> by the buyer as attributable to "good will" which is more of a
> subjective value (that is, subject to devaluation) as compared to hard
> income from contracted clients.
>
> I know a few alarm companys who have not raised their prices for a
> long time and when you dig right down to the basic reason why,  it
> always turns out to be that they're afraid they're going to lose their
> accounts. I raise my prices after 5 years and then more often for
> other accounts for various reason.  In my experience, you may lose one
> [...]

My monitoring costs have actually gone down.  I see no reason to
increase the cost of monitoring.  Unfortunately, service costs have gone
up and consequently so have our hourly rates.  We don't do free
installs, but we do deliver value for the dollar.  There *is* a market
for used Binkey panels, after all.  ;-)