Re: Ademco Vista 20P or Vista 50P system?

"4Technology" wrote:

> ... Now the tough part, how to tie the requirements
> together and devise a solid solution that provides
> the immediate needs, while leaving a little room for
> any future changes (room addition, additional out
> building). I am all for being energy efficient too. :-)

It's not as complicated as it might seem.  Once I know how many sensors there
will be in each area I can make suggestions regarding hardware and how to
configure it.

> I just got home from church and now have a few
> minutes to research a little more. I am still confused
> on the expansion modules, relay/non-relay, and
> how to separate the out building (believe that was
> a partition if I read above correctly).

Each manufacturer has various types of modules with several inputs, outputs or
both.  First you decide how much "stuff" will be in the system, long term.  From
that you can select an appropriate system.  The fine tuning is just putting a
few pieces together.

Some companies use the term partitions.  Others say "areas".  Either way it's
the same idea.  After you wire up the system to the panel you assign keypads,
zones (sensor loops) and output devices to each partition.  For example, if
there are three doors, one motion and rwo smokes in a guest house, we would
program all of those items to "Area 2".  By default, the rest is already in
"Area 1" which would be the main house.

Specific outputs (such as sirens and strobes) can be assigned to activate when
specific zones (sensor loops) are tripped or when any sensor in the system
trips.  You make a few decisions about what the system should do and I can walk
you through programming it.  It'll be a learning experience, but not all that
hard.

> I might also add, all door and windows currently
> had a cat5 wire running to them already.

CAT5 is not the ideal cable for door and window sensors mainly because the
overall cable is larger than the stuff we normally use.  The individual
conductors are a tad smaller than usual (24 rather than 22 gauge) but that's not
a problem with cable runs of a 100 feet or so.  Magnetic door sensors don't draw
any current.  For motion detectors you can double up on the power leads as you
mentioned and it'll be OK.

> When we build the house, we installed a wire
> for that purpose. If the wire is not large enough
> I suppose we could twist a pair of wires together
> to increase capacity.

That'll be fine, except for smoke detectors.  For those you'll want to run the
proper wire.

> We did not wire for add-on motion or smoke detectors.
> There are plenty of ways to add additional wires so
> I am not worried about the add-on items from a wiring
> perspective...

I'll send you a simple schematic that illustrates how to wire for the smokes.

> Initially I think wiring doors, windows, and smoke
> alarms will give us the most bang for the buck.
> Well, I think.. :-)

That's a good enough start.  You can add more things later as time allows and as
needs progress.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass