Re: Talking keypads

nick markowitz wrote:
> On Mar 17, 5:10 am, John R <Intelli...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Gemini P9600 that I installed about 10 years ago. I have the
>> RS-232 interface and wrote some Java code to log alarm events in a
>> MySQL database and send email when alarms occur. It's pretty cool.
>>
>> It's time to sell my house (and my cool alarm system) and buy a new
>> house. The new house has an unfinished basement and I'm looking
>> forward to installing an even cooler alarm system.
>>
>> The P9600 keypads beep when a zone is opened. I want my next system to
>> say/enunciate the name of the zone that is opened.
>>
>> What systems do this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>
> Honeywell makes a talking keypad that works with there entire line of
> ademco panels

Yeah...  and then you can get AlarmFarce to monitor it and it'll never
shut up.  I used to have a LeBaron (many years ago) that "talked".  It
was really dumb.  Kept saying "a door is a jar".  No...  The door was
"open".  Used to drive me nuts.  :-)

The Honeywell keypad has a limited vocabulary and that's its only drawback.