Re: Napco system questions

chasbo wrote:

> Long time customer moved into house containing Napco 8-zone Panel, two
> GEM-RP1CAe2 Keypads, and all windows and doors contacted, several
> CO's, System Sensor SD's, motion detectors, and six or eight zone modules
> positioned adjacent to the panel mounted in the basement. Due to a lack of
> time to inspect the entire system on all floors, I do not have enough
> information to prepare a proposal to replace the operating  system with one
> which she is familiar, or to tell her to keep the existing system; hence the
> need for a few answers from you Napco installers.

It sounds like she has a Napco P9600 system.  Don't replace it.  There are
very few systems that are even as good, let alone better than the one she has.

> The Zone modules I assume are Napco's 8-zone units.  I have a copy of the
> zone list, which lists 96 zones, a few of which are spares.

That's correct.  The modules are the EZM-8, Napco's standard 8-zone expanders.

> Since the panel (forgot to get model number, but was installed within the
> last two years) is 8- zones, how are the zone modules configured?

Every feature of each zone can be independantly programmed.  In the ideal
situation, each sensor is on a separate zone, making it possible to precisely
identify the point of intrusion.  Likewise, servicing the system is enhanced
as you can tell exactly which sensor or loop has a problem.

> Does each contact, CO detector, Motion detector, get home-runned to the zone
> module adjacent to the panel, or do some installers mount the zone module
> close to the windows or doors, for example, and run one cable to the panel?

This varies from company to company.  I've installed hundreds of these
systems.  On large projects we usually located one or more EZM-8 modules near
the panel and the rest were spread around the home, close to each
concentration of sensors.

> Or can the output of an 8-zone module be fed to another 8- zone module,
> before it finally gets connected to the main panel?

The zone expansion modules, like Napco keypads and other databus devices, can
be home run to the panel or daisy chained along a master run.  We usually used
the latter approach.  Sometimes we borrowed a technique used in fire alarms,
running a 4-conductor cable from the panel to the first keypad or module, on
to the next and so on to the module furthest from the panel.  From there we
would run another 4-wire circuit back to the panel along a different route.
This made the system "fault tolerant" up to a singlt cut through the circuit.
When wiring during construction where other tradesmen sometimes do "bad
things" this can be a real job saver.

> Do all the zone modules connect to a specific set of terminals in the panel,
> or are the outputs of the zone modules connected to one of the eight zones?

The modules connect to the same 4 terminals as all the keypads.

> Though she has been instructed by the company that installed the system, she
> still says the system is too complicated, and does not think the Keypad is
> user friendly.  Her previous home contained a Caddx/GE NX8E panel and 8-zone
> LED Keypad.

If you study the user manual and properly teach her to use it, she'll likely
change her mind about that.  I've taught end users not just how to operate the
P9600 but even how to install it.  The RP1CAe2 keypad is easy to understand
once you learn to use the "Function" key.

> She would like to switch to an NX8E system again, but I told her that she
> would need two LCD Keypads, but in terms of operation, all else would be
> pretty much familiar to her.

She'll need to replace not just the panel and keypads, but the exp[ansion
modules as well.  Also, note that the RP1Cae2 keypads have built-in 4-zone
expanders.  If these are being used, you'll need to rewire those zones as
well.

> If the devices on all levels of the house are home runned to the basement
> zone modules, then my work of converting to GE would be relatively easy.  If
> there are some zone modules mounted on other levels of the house, with only
> the outputs homerunned to the basement, I will tell her to keep the system.

Tell her to keep it.  If you want help understanding it yourself, feel free to
call.  I'll be happy to explain more about the system and you can then pass it
along.  She'll probably stay with you for a long time if you save her a bunch
of money *and* teach her how to use what she has.

> Also, is there a way that I can determine if the system is connected to any
> home-automation devices?  I do not want to replace the zone modules and
> panel, only to find later that one or more home-automation devices don't
> function.

The P9600 supports X10 directly, using a GEM-X10 kit.  It also can be
connected to a PC running home automation software (HomeSeer, for example) via
the GEM-RS232 kit.  If there's a GEM-RS232 kit in place, it will be easy to
spot.  There will be a grey cable plugged into the 6-conductor port on the
fron of the main circuit board inside the panel.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics