Re: Newbie questions on alarms

Below you will find the ramblings of a person named Bill that most likely
got something for nothing, didn't read the agreement, which industry wide
contains the same easy to read and understandable language and now has a
bitter taste toward the whole industry because he was held to the agreement
he signed. Now he is an expert. Let me tell you my most resent experience. A
client decided to change his own battery in his control panel. The simplest
of DIY tasks. He has the key to the box because I do leave one onsite in
case of an emergency. He changed the battery and without knowing it
accidentally unplugged the RJ jack (telephone line). When I didn't get the
dialer test signal from his panel is when I found out about his attempt at
servicing the panel. If something would have happened, who would have been
to blame? The customer that was dicking around with his panel, since he
thought he was capable of the simple task of changing his own battery, or me
for leaving him the key? Meanwhile, his house burnt down, his wife was
raped, his kids were kidnapped, his elderly parent fell and died waiting for
help, the broken pipe flooded the living room and ruined the Persian rug,
the carbon monoxide killed the dog, the burglars made off with all of his
guns, they stole all of the prescription drugs out of the medicine cabinet
and all because the communication line was "accidentally" disconnected. By
the way, no one would have received an email either. Your cell phone is not
set up to generate a "Did Not Test" signal so you will never know unless you
email yourself every day. You may not have even thought about this. However,
this will only lead to ignoring signals. Fortunately, none of this happened
because it was the expert alarm company that was watching out for this home.
That is our job. We don't ignore signals and in this case a no signal event.
DIYers can pretend all they want and have that right. But trust me, there
are things that will be overlooked. Hire a professional if you are serious
about yours and/or your family's well being.