Re: Got my DVS2400 to call me but no annunciation...

On Feb 12, 1:22=A0pm, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "DeanB" wrote:
>
> > You mean a voice dialer that is set off with the automation? I was
> > considering this, if its available. The automation can be set to come o=
> > only when the alarm is tripped. I would want something to call me, but =
only
> > the once. Any recommendations?
>
> > (BTW on this system, you can disable reporting of trouble codes and
> > maintenance issues such as batteries, and have it ONLY call in a real a=
larm
> > situation).
>
> Note: I have a financial interest in the issue since I sell this stuff. T=
here
> are several models of voice dialers which we carry. =A0I'll include a lin=
> below.
>
> Before buying or using voice dialer you should carefully evaluate the
> strengths and drawbacks. =A0One advantage is you don't have to pay for
> monitoring service. =A0On the down side, voice dialers are not as secure =
as
> monitoring service since they don't usually call a place that is manned 2=
4/7.
> You can NOT use them to dial 911 although your local police / fire depart=
ment
> MAY allow you to program in a regular phone line at the town dispatch cen=
ter.
> If you want to do this, verify it's permitted before you use one.
>
> I have a fair number of clients who have opted to do their own monitoring
> using voice dialers. =A0In locations where police response to alarms can =
take a
> long time they may be more appropriate than conventional monitoring. =A0S=
ome of
> our customers have installed systems to monitor remote vacation homes whe=
re
> the concern is more about getting a maintenance person out for a water le=
ak or
> furnace failure (moisture, temperature sensors, etc.) rather than calling=
 in a
> burglary. =A0You can also use them with some systems to call you when the=
 kids
> get home and disarm the alarm. =A0Voice dialers are handy for many other
> non-emergency situations.
>
> I don't recommend them for fire alarms since rapid response is critical. =
=A0For
> burglar alarms you need to consider how quickly you may be able to respon=
d or
> to get the authorities to do so. =A0In most cases a professional monitori=
ng
> center will be able to handle such calls better or at least faster. =A0I =
say
> "most cases" because there are a few firms with a history of poor perform=
ance.
> I'll leave it to others to say which ones. =A0:^)

> [...]
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Robert - thanks for the info - your link has some interesting items.
What I want is a dialer that I can program how many times it tries to
call me, and that is set off by my alarm system (Linear 2400). I'm not
sure if it has to use the automation function, or some other part of
the system. Ideally I want to use the automation to flash a light
during the exit delay AND when the alarm has been triggered (until I
disarm it). Basically I want to be able to see from outside that the
system is arming, and also see when I come home whether the alarm was
tripped before I go into the house. Can you recommend something?