Re: VONTAGE

On Aug 5, 3:33=EF=BF=BDam, CH=EF=BF=BDIS <s...@xxxxx> wrote:
> > "tourman" wrote...
>
> > RHC: Yeah, I've had loads of clients come to me with VoIP service and
> > they never want to understand that this service is unreliable with an
> > alarm. So their next step is to call another company who doesn't give
> > a shit, and hooks them up anyway just for the money. It almost seems
> > dealers who do the right thing are punished by the scummy ones who
> > don't care about anything other than that monthly RMR. And if you try
> > to sell the client on the proper IP connecting device, they won't
> > spend a dime on it.....
>
> > Although it might be hard to swallow at times, you are doing the right
> > thing !! And if they care that little about the alarm, then the hell
> > with them....you're better off getting rid of them
>
> Any idea what Shaw's digital phone service is? =EF=BF=BDAparently it's no=
t VoIP.

> We've had a couple of customers switch to it and haven't had any problems=
 so
> far. =EF=BF=BDAnd the Shaw techs seem to know more about how not to mess =
up a line
> seizure phone connection than Telus does. =EF=BF=BDThey just take Telus' =
incoming
> line off and replace it with theirs, not bothering to "fix" this strange
> connection they don't understand.
>
> http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/DigitalPhone/AboutDigitalPh...
>
> - Chris

We had this problem with Cablevision a number of years ago. It took
over a year when subscribers found out that their alarm systems
weren't working and had to pay their alarm companys to rehook the
alarm and complaining to Cablevision, for them to meet with the alarm
associations to learn how to make the proper connections. The
associations had been trying to get Cablevision "informed" for quite
some time. But it wasn't until they started to get complaints and
cancellations that they finally paid attention. The associations
helped them set up classes for their technicians and provided them
with old alarm panels and mock telephone line connections so that they
would know what to do in the field.

The techs are "supposed to" have the consumer test the alarm system
before they leave the premises .... but that doesn't always happen. We
have relatively fewer problems now, as compared to the beginning of
VoIP in this area. The one thing they haven't learned is that when you
back feed the telephone line to an alarm panel, it will still sense
the telephone line so it wont show telco fail, but it can't dial out
when the line seizure relay flips. So if they don't test the system
before they leave .......