Re: Monaco Fire

"alarman" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:XH7Il.48448$Ji5.3544@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Bob La Londe wrote:
>> Got a last minute request from a contractor about 20 minutes ago bid a
>> Monaco addressable fire alarm panel.  He said actually said wireless.
>>
>> He told me his boss told him to get some more bids because they ones
>> they had were too much money.  My immediate instinct is to not bid it
>> at all. Since I am a last minute contact they are either hoping I'll
>> do something stupid and bid it too cheap, or they don't plan on me
>> getting the job at all, but hope I will give them a cheaper bid to
>> beat down their other bidders or favorite company.
>>
>> All  that being said, I have an e-mail and a fax off to Monaco asking
>> for some general information.  Since they are in in Spokane
>> Washington it will be a couple hours before they even see those for a
>> couple hours.
>> Are they proprietary like so many other fire systems?
>> Do they have limited dealers in any region?
>> Do they have expensive certification classes required?
>>  How much?
>>  When?
>>  Where?
>
> A fire system cheap, eh?
> Forget it. I'd walk away.

I took a look at the spec last week, based on some of the items and
requirements listed, the number the contractor told me was stupid low.  I
called him back told him that the price he had said sounded awfully cheap
after reading the spec, and he hung up on me.  I figured it was the typical
asshole (yes I called a general and asshole publicly) general contractor
trying to screw over the specialties again.  I had actually figured that
when he first called, but I give all shysters (er I mean generals) the
benefit of the doubt the first time they call.