Re: Computer virus???

Robert L Bass wrote:

> Nick,
>
> You are absolutely right.  The illegal and unethical use of programming
> lockouts is extremely common in the alarm industry.

Really?  Where?  What region of the country?  What statistical evidence
do you have to support this assertion?

> They are but one of
> thousands of dealers whose practices are anti-competitive and
> anti-consumer.

Let me get this straight...  There are companies out there that are
"anti-consumer"?  Really?  I doubt that *any* business could survive
long if it was "anti-consumer".

> Many of the installersd who post here will of course deny
> it, though they know full well the practice us widespread.

Well...  It may be in Sarasota, but it's certainly not the case in
Vancouver (Canada).

> The only purpose is to make it more expensive and more
> difficult for the consumer to switch service providers.

<sigh>  Your "agenda" is showing again.

> No one posting
> here, especially Olson and Leuck, is unaware of the problem.  Don't
> expect them to post an honest opinion on the subject though.

What other kind of opinion (other than "honest") should we post?  How
about giving us *your* "honest" opinion?  Naaah!  Forget that.  Asking
you for an "honest" opinion would be ludicrous.

> The operative word here is, indeed, "robbery."  By depriving the
> consumer of what he purchased and paid for, the alarm company commits an
> act of theft. The legal term is unlawful conversion.  Again, these guys
> know it but they'll never admit it.

How do you know the consumer "purchased and paid" for it?  How do you
know the programming lockout isn't being used legitimately?

>> Alas, if only the outgoing dealer would merely remove the "local
>> programming lockout", the receiver, download and account numbers, test
>> timer etc, and return the installer code to default, leaving the
>> system fully operative as a non-reporting "local" system, the whole
>> issue could be avoided.

What "outgoing dealer" wouldn't do this?  Why court all the negative
publicity from *not* "doing the right thing"?

> Correct.  There are a few who actually do the right thing.

Your "agenda's" hanging out a mile.

> Unfortunately, it's next to impossible for the customer to determine in
> advance if he's dealing with an honest dealer or another jiminex.

As opposed to dealing with someone like you.  A quick check of the BBB
report on bassbungledalarms is all that's really required.
(http://westflorida.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=47&bbb=0653&firm=41001663)
  Tsk!

Why Nick would even want to associate himself with someone like this is
beyond me.  911's record is sterling.

http://goldengate.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=99&bbb=1116&firm=27779