Re: 2-wire firewolf blinking

"Total nerd" wrote:

> OK I will give it another go.  When I cleaned it out the
> first time, it stayed green for a few weeks.  Now it's
> back, so I suppose it does need a better cleaning.
> Thanks for the advice.

You're most welcome.

> I just don't want to go and buy another one, and
> another one, and another one... know what I mean?

Yep.  A good rule of thumb is to replace all of them at
10 years.  Before that, clean them semi-annually.  I
used to clean them with Q-tips and alcohol.  Although
some folks here claim that's bad, I never had problems
doing so.

> In fact, I do have an extra 4-wire lying around but
> I don't think I can use it in this situation right?
> I can't really replace a 2 with a 4?  Especially if it is
> in series with another 2...?

If your panel has a spare zone that can be set up for
a 4-wire smoke you could use it but I wouldn't. Some
future resident might not realize there are two types
and mistakenly replace one or more with the wrong
type.  Also, they operate differently so you wouldn't
mix them on the same circuit in any case.

Fine point:  Smokes are actually wired in parallel --
not in series.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass