Re: Locked Out by Vendor

On May 7, 7:03=EF=BF=BDam, scantrell...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > How do you know it's locked out? Did the tech try to enter programming w=
ith
> > a 5200 programmer or just by downloading it?
>
> The new monitoring company dialed into the system however when they
> entered the default RAM Passcode, it did not match. =EF=BF=BDI then asked
> (nicely) the existing monitoring company, Advent Security, to reset
> it. Advent told me that they would not release the code that they
> changed it to. =EF=BF=BDWhen asked to reset it, that is when I got the "we=
 own
> the communicator" line.-

I don't know how much trouble you want to go to to get the use of
your system but you might want to try this.

Send them a letter telling them that since they will not allow you
access to the alarm system that you paid for and that is your
property, that you are going to take them to small claims court to
obtain the cost of the installation of a new panel. You can tell them
that all  you want is access to YOUR alarm system. Since the
communicator is part of the alarm panel it cannot be removed but they
are welcome to come and remove only that part of the programing that
allows the communicator to report to central station, as long as they
leave you with an operating system and access to the dealer programing
for the next alarm company. Be very clear on what you require them to
do so that they don't come to your home and make the system inoperable
and inaccessable. Sent Certified, return recept letter.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet in this thread, but
typically, nowdays, since communicators are an integeral part of a
control panels printed circuit board, the contract will say that the
communication
"software" is the property of the alarm company, not the communicator.
So you should confirm with them that they really said "communicator"
and not "communication software".

If they say "communicator" and you wanted to be a smart-ass about it,
you could tell them that they are welcome to come and take the
communicator, as long as they leave you with an equivalent working
alarm system that you paid for originally.

Whether you follow through on the threat or not is up to you. In my
state, if called to small claims court, a corporation is required to
be represented by an attorney. So even if you lose, they've still got
to pay him. If it's the same in your state then they may not want to
risk having to pay his fee and will decide to default your system
instead. If they don't respond, then it's your call.