Re: Installers in Kentucky beware of HB-41

Robert L Bass wrote:

> Wrong.  Anyone can give free advice.  If you offer consulting services
> for hire, you need a license.

Now let me get this straight.  If you're employed by an alarm company as
a salesman, then you have to be licensed.  A customer calls to obtain
information (or a quotation for an install) and the alarm company
dispatches a salesman.  The salesman designs a system based on the
customer's needs (provides consulting service), but doesn't charge the
customer for the service.  You could say it's "included" in the price of
the equipment the customer agrees to purchase.  More often the not, that
same consumer is basing a decision on a number of (usually three)
onsultations.  I don't see your logic.  How is what you do any different
from what Bob Worthy's company does?  The only thing that's different is
that you work from home and "sell" over the phone.  You still "review"
plans, layout and design systems based on the customer's needs (at least
that's what you've said).  In my view, Florida should be taking a hard
look at your activities (particularly in respect of any dealings you
might have with Florida residents).

> Otherwise, every RatShak, Home Depot and
> Loews employee would be subject to licensing.

Agreed.  They (and you) should be subject to licensing.  I don't believe
a consumer is the least bit served by individuals that try to sell
something that they have no formal training in or direct knowledge of.
I also don't think that the security wholesalers in Florida should be
dealing with unlicensed individuals (or companies).

> Florida still does not require licenses of online or "brick and mortar"
> stores selling alarm systems.  Salesmen working for companies that
> provide installation and/or monitoring are required to be licensed.
> Worthy knows this.

It seems to be a matter of interpretation and I certainly wouldn't rely
on *anything* _you_ "interpret" as "fact".

>> If it is monitored, it must be monitored by a State licensed company...
>
> ... unless the company is not located in Florida.

We'll see how that plays out in the next few months, eh?