Re: Installers in Kentucky beware of HB-41

"RockyTSquirrel" wrote:

> As I read it Robert, DIY can buy the equipment...

Correct.

> ... but only an approved person can give advise as to what to buy or how it
> works.

That's not correct.  Anyone can give free advice, even a salesman.  For
example, most alarm salesmen working for medium to large companies aren't
licensed technicians.  They're given very basic training in what their
particular alarm company likes to sell and then they go out and design
"professionally" installed systems.  This is in fact a frequent topic in this
newsgroup -- salesmen who don't know how to design or install *designing*
alarm systems that either can't be installed as planned, won't work
effectively as planned or will cause false alarms if installed as planned.

There's no law in most places against unlicensed salesmen telling homeowners
what to use and where to use it.  Fortunately for my clients, I've designed,
installed and serviced alarms for many years.  This isn't something unique  or
special.  Many of the online merchants in the trade are also alarm dealers and
can also offer technical support.

> It like you got what you got  but  I can't help you understand how it works.

A large portion of my time is spent doing just that -- explaining how things
work and how to install them.  It's not rocket science though.  Anyone with a
modicum of tool skills and a bit of patience can do install their own security
alarm system.  It may take a little longer than it would for an experienced
pro but the cost savings can be significant and there's no requirement of a
long-term contract.  Furthermore, when the homeowner decides to DIY his alarm
system he doesn't have to worry about being "locked out" of programming even
after paying for the system.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass