Re: Installers in Kentucky beware of HB-41

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "RockyTSquirrel" wrote:

>> ... but only an approved person can give advise as to what to buy or
>> how it works.
>
> That's not correct.  Anyone can give free advice, even a salesman.

Wrong (as usual).  Some states regulate the sales people too.  BC
springs to mind.  Your own state (Florida) does too.

> For
> example, most alarm salesmen working for medium to large companies
> aren't licensed technicians.

And most don't want to be.

> They're given very basic training in what
> their particular alarm company likes to sell and then they go out and
> design "professionally" installed systems.

Sort of like you??

> This is in fact a frequent
> topic in this newsgroup -- salesmen who don't know how to design or
> install *designing* alarm systems that either can't be installed as
> planned, won't work effectively as planned or will cause false alarms if
> installed as planned.

But identifying possible design "inefficiencies" is the job of the
professional technician/installer (who will also make recommendations
for additional protection if it's warranted).  The sales and
installation departments work as a team, Bass.  One covers the other.
And most sales people are committed professionals.

> There's no law in most places against unlicensed salesmen telling
> homeowners what to use and where to use it.  Fortunately for my clients,
> I've designed, installed and serviced alarms for many years.  This isn't
> something unique  or special.

I'm sure this last statement isn't something you told your "clients".
And properly laying out an effective alarm system *is* pretty "unique
and special".

> Many of the online merchants in the trade
> are also alarm dealers and can also offer technical support.

Yup.  And most answer their phones and emails.  Some even take the step
of becoming BBB *members*.

>> It like you got what you got  but  I can't help you understand how it
>> works.
>
> A large portion of my time is spent doing just that -- explaining how
> things work and how to install them.

You mean when they can actually get a hold of you.

> It's not rocket science though.

It's *still* a science.

> Anyone with a modicum of tool skills and a bit of patience can do
> install their own security alarm system.

"Skills" aren't the only things required.  There are some specialty
tools needed as well.  You have to have some code knowledge as well as
be pretty savvy in construction techniques.  But I'm sure you're able to
provide all this information in the two hour telephone course you offer
your "clients".

> It may take a little longer
> than it would for an experienced pro but the cost savings can be
> significant and there's no requirement of a long-term contract.

I've been called in to "fix" a lot of DIY jobs.  The potential "cost
savings" could very well turn into a huge liability if you drill in the
wrong place or improperly install the equipment.  As for the "long term
commitment", that sometimes works to the advantage of the consumer.  You
have to be able to read the fine print in the contract.

> Furthermore, when the homeowner decides to DIY his alarm system he
> doesn't have to worry about being "locked out" of programming even after
> paying for the system.

That's such a big issue with you, isn't it?  Most end-users don't have a
problem with this (and aren't interested in programming their own
panels).  You cater to a very small percentage of the DIY community.
Quite frankly, most don't shop your kludge store.  I never see anyone in
CHA recommend your "services" (except you, of course).