Re: 2 Partition DSC 1864 Smoke Detector Question

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> The reset part of this is what has been bugging me.  I want the remote
> building smoke detectors on a separate zone from the main building
> detectors, so that I can tell which building has an alarm.  But I'm
> perplexed on how to handle the reset function.
>
> Mike Schumann
>
> "Doug" <not@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>

>> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>I am installing DSC 1864 Alarm Panel with 2 partitions to provide
>>>security in two buildings.  I am using 2 wire smoke detectors, directly
>>>connected to PGM2 in the panel in the main building.
>>>
>>> I am running a 4 wire cable to the remote building for the second keypad
>>> and a PC5108 Expansion Module.  I also want to put in a couple of smoke
>>> detectors in the remote building.
>>>
>>> What is the best solution for providing smoke detectors in the remote
>>> building?  Can I use 4 wire smoke detectors and wire them into a zone on
>>> the PC5108 or do I need to do something else?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Mike Schumann
>>>
>>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
>>
>> You would probably want a way to reset the four wire smokes, this is
>> normally done by using a PGM on the panel to interrupt power to the
>> smokes, if you wire them into the 5108 and draw power from the 5108 then
>> you don't have any easy way to reset them. I suppose you could use a 5208
>> PGM module in the remote building to do this but I'm not sure if the
>> manufacturer recommends it, you could even power the zone expander from
>> the PGM output in the panel, but thats probably not a good idea either. I
>> think I would just run a separate fire rated 4 conductor for the smokes
>> in the remote building, that way you can use the PGM output in the panel
>> per the manufacturers instructions.
>>

>> Doug

Reset of four wire smokes is accomplished by removing power to the smokes
for a few seconds, you can have the four wire smokes on different zones so
you can identify which building caused the alarm and still use a common
reset, but Jewellfish brings up a possibly overlooked issue if you are
located in the US. The 1864 isn't rated for commercial fire in the US.

Doug