Re: Brinks Alarms: Beware of the Fuel Surcharge Tax

"Matt Ion" <soundy106@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>> "Hide the name Fuel Surcharge"?
>>>
>>> Isn't that called increasing prices because the cost of doing business
>>> has gone up?
>>>
>>> As I mentioned earlier .... I'm sure no one added a "wire surcharge"
>>> when the cost of wire went up. You just increase your prices to
>>> reflect the cost of doing business. Ta DAaaaaaa!
>>
>> You can increase your service fee or cost of your product as a cost
>> increase in doing buisness.
>
> I guess the difference is in how intelligent you think your customers are.
> Some will complain about increased service rates ("Prices are going up
> AGAIN?!"), but if you tack it on as a "fuel surcharge" they understand
> (even if they're not happy about it).  Others will just recognize it as
> the euphemism that it is (and still not be happy about it).

I think the issue is that people are not  telling the customer in advance,
so if  you tell your customer  the service call is $135.00 for the first
half hour plus a $5.00 fuel surcharge or even if you add $5.00 on and tell
them its $140.00 for the first half hour then its  OK.  What I believe the
problem is when you tell someone its going to be $135.00 and then when you
are finished you tack on a $5.00 fuel surcharge.

Doug