Re: Brinks Alarms: Beware of the Fuel Surcharge Tax

nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Jul 21, 1:39 pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Jul 21, 8:47�am, "George Siegle" <gsie...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:2f3e19ac-41fa-4160-b9a3-
>>> They try that here in state of pa there in trouble �the ag has already
>>> warned buisness owners about it.
>>> What was / is the warning?
>>> I know of guys here not calling it a fuel surcharge, but have just increased
>>> service calls to cover the amount to hide the name "Fuel Surcharge."
>> "Hide the name Fuel Surcharge"?
>>
>> Isn't that called increasing prices because the cost of doing business
>> has gone up?
>>
>> As I mentioned earlier .... I'm sure no one added a "wire surcharge"
>> when the cost of wire went up. You just increase your prices to
>> reflect the cost of doing business. Ta DAaaaaaa!
>
> You can increase your service fee or cost of your product as a cost
> increase in doing buisness.

I guess the difference is in how intelligent you think your customers
are.  Some will complain about increased service rates ("Prices are
going up AGAIN?!"), but if you tack it on as a "fuel surcharge" they
understand (even if they're not happy about it).  Others will just
recognize it as the euphemism that it is (and still not be happy about it).