Re: removing zones from ADT system

cl999@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I bought a house last year with ADT alarm. There is no monitoring
> contract as far as I know, ADT has never hassled us about leased
> equipment or continuing an existing contract. The previous owners gave
> us the master code. It is not currently being monitored, though we
> find the chime feature whenever a window or door has been opened
> useful so that's what we use it for. There are 3 ADEMCO 5850 wireless
> glass break sensors that I would like to remove from the system as one
> has gone bad (seems to short out any 9V battery I put in) and the
> battery has run low on the other 2. My question is how to remove zones
> from the setup? Searched this newsgroup and came up with some useful
> info, but none regarding removing zones. This is my setup:
>
> Ademco Vista 20SE control panel
> Safewatch Pro 2000 keypad (ADT)
> Alarmnet Ademco 7835c wireless receiver
>
> I saw one posting about Vista 20SE needing a keypad for setup, but
> instruction was for a different keypad than mine. Any help would be
> appreciated...

While basic programming isn't too hard without an Alpha type keypad,
zone programming without one is something even experienced installers
would shy away from. (I'm sure there are exceptions here - but I sure as
hell ain't one of 'em)

The alpha keypad lets you know where you are in the program.

The 7835c ISN'T a wireless receiver - It's a cellular back-up unit that
won't work on the current networks so it is useless.  You will need to
remove that from the program as well or the panel will complain about
either not seeing the network or not seeing the device.

If I were you, I would save my pennies and pick up a new alarm panel
(the new Vista 20PS is pretty much the same thing you got now - only
better) and alpha keypad on ebay.  That way you will have the
documentation and hardware you will need.  Also, if you go with the
newer Vista 20 the replacement will be simple since they are wired
identically.

Good luck.