cctv security systems - pci capture cards + software

I have been looking at pci dvr cards, cameras, etc... and wondered if
anyone could answer some basic questions I have.  Are all these cards
compatible with the various software packages?  All I'm looking for is
something that can accept 2-3 cameras and will post the pictures OR
video up to a website (and archive it) if something comes into its
field of view.  I'm ok with a linux or windows based system.  Any
suggestions?

-Inet