Re: cctv security systems - pci capture cards + software

inetquestion <inetquestion@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have been looking at pci dvr cards, cameras, etc... and wondered if
> anyone could answer some basic questions I have.  Are all these cards
> compatible with the various software packages?  All I'm looking for is
> something that can accept 2-3 cameras and will post the pictures OR
> video up to a website (and archive it) if something comes into its
> field of view.  I'm ok with a linux or windows based system.  Any
> suggestions?

Have you looked at ZoneMinder?  (http://www.zoneminder.com/)

There is a supplier (http://store.bluecherry.net/) that sells DVR cards
that work well with ZoneMinder, and will even supply a Live-CD Linux
disc with an optimized-for-Zoneminder Linux installation that you can
test with (or perhaps even use as is as your CCTV system).  See the
"shop" link on the ZoneMinder web site.

The folks at BlueCherry were very helpful to me when I needed them to
be, and the Zoneminder software has been very reliable and very usable.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Network and Systems analyst                       Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada