BRK smoke alarm

My house has 9 yr. old BRK wired-in smoke detectors. They are of the
ionization kind.  They have given false alarm problems.   I'd like to
replace them with newer BRK models but have been reading that this
brand is very poor when it comes to false alarms and random chirps.  I
called them and they said that they recommend the photoelectric type
as less prone to false alarms and random chirps.

Is there more reliable brands out there?  Even if I have to spend
more, it's preferable to chasing chirps in the middle of the night!
All recommendations appreciated.