Re: BRK smoke alarm

schmekelfutz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> My house has 9 yr. old BRK wired-in smoke detectors. They are of the
> ionization kind.  They have given false alarm problems.   I'd like to
> replace them with newer BRK models but have been reading that this
> brand is very poor when it comes to false alarms and random chirps.  I
> called them and they said that they recommend the photoelectric type
> as less prone to false alarms and random chirps.
>
> Is there more reliable brands out there?  Even if I have to spend
> more, it's preferable to chasing chirps in the middle of the night!
> All recommendations appreciated.

I don't have much experience (and therefore no valid opinion) on 110V
smoke detectors but I will second their recommendation to use
photoelectric over ionization type smoke detectors in a residential
setting.  I think I even saw some in Home Depot that had both.

You want them interconnected as well but if the existing ones aren't you
may be out of luck - you need the extra wire and they have to be on the
same circuit.  But like I said, 110v smokes are not my forte.

The important thing is to not let your protection lapse during the
transition - get it all done in one day or sleep somewhere else during
the period you don't have protection.

One night is all it takes.