Re: BRK smoke alarm

<schmekelfutz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My house has 9 yr. old BRK wired-in smoke detectors. They are of
> the ionization kind.  They have given false alarm problems.   I'd
> like to replace them with newer BRK models but have been reading
> that this brand is very poor when it comes to false alarms and
> random chirps.  I called them and they said that they recommend the
> photoelectric type as less prone to false alarms and random chirps.
>
> Is there more reliable brands out there?  Even if I have to spend
> more, it's preferable to chasing chirps in the middle of the night!
> All recommendations appreciated.

I assume that by "wired-in" you're referring to 110 Volt smokes with
a 9-Volt battery backup.  If so, the chirps you're getting are
probably low battery warnings.  The detector will issue a brief
(maybe 1/4-second) beep roughly every 40 to 60 seconds when the
battery has about 90 days' life left in it.  The time varies but
that's about median.  Find which ones are chirping and swap the
batteries.  The chirps should stop.

BRK are about the same quality as most of the other off-the-shelf
units out there.  I sell some 110-Volt smokes online but you can
probably get them locally for about the same price and save the
shipping.  System Sensor makes pretty much the best smoke detectors
IMO but I've only used their low voltage, system type detectors.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics