Re: Monitoring Rates

Crash Gordon wrote:
> Here's what we would do:
>
> Inform the client that we "may" be interested in monitoring/servicing their
> account based upon our inspection of the system. That there is a $xx.xx p/hr
> to inspect the system and that a portion of the fee may be waived if we
> decide to do business with them (or vice versa).
>
> If they agree then we inspect the system and give them a proposal to bring
> the system up to our standards if need be - most of the time this is no big
> deal.
>
> Once in a while we the system is such crap that we walk away from it.
>
> Once we are engaged in monitoring the system we DO NOT ALLOW ANY
> modification to the system either physically or programming by the client.
> If we should part ways...then we return the system programmatically to allow
> the client to fuck it up any way they please.

Sounds about right.  One thing I would add.  The "standards" includes
things like end-of-line supervision relays for four wire smokes.  You
have no idea how many installations I've see where these have not been
installed (either from pure laziness or lack of knowledge - you pick).
In most instances, take-overs are a nightmare because once you find one
thing "wonky", invariably another will become obvious as well.  Trying
to explain to the client (diplomatically) that the last alarm company's
installers were "idiots" is pretty difficult.  Often times the client
has chosen the installing company.  "I'm afraid you were stupid, Mr.
Customer, in choosing these idiots to install your alarm."