Re: security system advice

chambersdon@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have recently had a number of break-ins at a rental property I am
> trying to renovate.  I have been doing a total rewire since the house
> was built in 1900 and still has a couple of exterior fuse panels on
> the back porch (it was a duplex I'm converting back into a single
> family house)  A day after I had the house ready for rough wiring
> inspection thieves broke into the 6' crawlspace and cut and stole all
> of the wire running under the house.  I secured the crawlspace a
> little better, had the house rewired and nearly ready for inspection
> again and the thieves returned, broke off the lock and cut the wire
> again...I'm fed up and need a security system (at least
> temporarily).
>
> I'm looking at the DSC 1832.  I want to put a motion sensor under the
> house near the new wire breaker box where all of the wires come under
> the house with both a siren under and outside of the house.  I also
> purchased a couple of pepper spray release traps that work off of the
> 12VDC bell signal(one for under the house and one for in the house).
> I plan on placing another motion sensor in the house in the hall where
> the breaker panel is located because that is where the thieves will
> most likely go if they can't get in under the house. (I put a serious
> lock mechanism on the door to get under the house).
>
> Here are my questions/problems:
>
> 1. To pass the rough wiring inspection, I will most likely have to
> remove the old fuse boxes from the house leaving the house without
> power for a few weeks until I can get the sheetrock completed and the
> final wiring inspected and passed.  What are my options for powering
> the security system during this time?  I thought about using a 12V car
> battery somehow but I'm not sure how to go about it at this point.
> Has anyone out there run into having to power your alarm system for an
> extended amount of time without power to the house?
>
> 2. Will the DSC be able to drive 2 sirens and 2 pepper spray traps
> without some type of aux power supply?  The pepper spray traps use
> just a few mA to power an audible countdown timer and then 800mA to
> power the solenoid for 30 seconds while the pepper spray is dispersed.
> The sirens will be standard interior and exterior sirens but I will
> attempt to get sirens with a lower amp draw.
>
> Does DSC sell an Aux power supply to fit into the control panel?
>
> 3.  This brings up another question.  I will have 2 pepper spray traps
> but i don't want them both to go off.  Can I control 2 seperate 12V
> bells based on what zones are triggered with the DSC?
>
> 4.  Based on the info above, will the DSC be the best choice or would
> a VISTA 20P or other system be better?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.  I have never
> installed a security system but i have done other electonic projects
> and I'm not usually firghtened by wiring diagrams and instructions.

Pepper spray traps? Really? Cool. You'll need an aux power supply all right.
It's a PC5204, and it needs it's own 16.5 VAC/40VA transformer, and battery.
Use a relay to cut the siren while the pepper spray trap is drawing it's 800
mils. I think the 1832 has zone follower attributes on the pgm outputs,
hmmm...seems I saw that. Donno.

--
js

He who laughs last.......thinks the slowest