Re: smoke detector recommendation

carlbernardi@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if some one could recommend a few smoke detectors that
> are interconnected and are not very sensitive to thinks like steam or
> making toast.  Since I need the detectors to work for two dwellings I
> was hoping to find ones that work on a delay such as 30 seconds to 1
> minutes before the other detector starts to sound.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Carl
>

> http://www.gaihosa.com

As far as I know the smoke detectors for one side of a duplex do not
have to trigger the ones on the other side if the separation between the
two dwellings is an adequate fire barrier - I live in Michigan, check
your local codes.

That said, I don't know of any detectors that have such a delay and
wouldn't use them if I did.  In a fire every second counts and you want
as much noise in the house as soon as possible so that folks have the
best chance to escape.

As for steam & cooking errors:  Our code calls for smoke detectors to be
at least three feet away from a bathroom door and twenty feet from a
cooking appliance.  We stretch that out as far as we can whenever
possible.  That said, at twenty feet from the stove we have falsed our
smokes twice in the past six years.

When trying to reduce false alarms you should consider placement and
living habits along with acceptance that anything can and will likely
happen.

What I would counsel against is considering equipment that could kill
someone.