Re: Brinks v Rojas Update Request

>> RHC: It seems that the security market can vary a lot from region
>> to region and depends a lot on the demographics of the area. Our
>> area is relatively rich, with loads of high tech folks who don't
>> mind spending the money for a decent system. One new trend that I
>> am seeing is a growing request from customers to be able to dial
>> in to there panels and access the event log. I don't allow that
>> for all the usual and legitimate reasons, but primarily I don't
>> want them to be able to mess with critical settings, and there
>> seems to be no way to do this without allowing "all or nothing"
>> access. The older Paradox panels used to allow the client to have
>> a restricted version of the software which only allowed them to
>> dial in and access the two pages covering the event log and the
>> user codes, but this never caught on. And the newer panels don't
>> have it.

There are panels which allow a dealer to provide limited access to
things like the event log to the end user.  The ELK-M1G comes to the
dealer standard with free downloading software but there's a separate
app which can be provided to the end user for remote access to his
home automation system.

>> I have one client who is adamant that I allow him this and I've
>> suggested a combination of the auto arm feature and monthly
>> uploads by me, sent to him by email.  I've also offered him the
>> Central Station option to email him (or cell phone him with a text
>> message) on openings and closing. However, he is still not
>> satisfied with that, and bottom line, I've suggested he look at
>> other dealers who can install either the Omni or HAI systems which
>> might do this for him.

Actually, Omni is the HAI line.  IMO ELK is a better option for you
since you can give the client what he's asking for without worrying
abouyt changes to critical data.  Sinc I sell ELK (and HAI) direct to
DIY end users, neither is a problem.  I provide them with full access
to program and control their systems by keypad, LAN or over the
Internet.

>> This seems to be a growing demand by the high tech types who have
>> come to expect this sort of instant access via the internet, even
>> though it really doesn't seem to offer much real advantage to
>> them. At the moment, I have only limited answers for them.
>
> HAI does indeed have two tier software that meets this need.  Now
> if only their panels were more reasonably priced...

Not only their panels, but their software is also expensive.
Unfortunately, HAI makes it hard for dealers to compete since their
distributors sell online directly to the public.  For these and other
reasons I usually recommend ELK.  Also, I'm ELK authorized.  They
frequently refer clients to me.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass