Re: Window Sensors

DigitalPimp wrote:
>> use 1/2" recessed switch. the flat magnet sticks above it
> So it's OK to stick the magnet to the weather strip on the bottom of
> the window?  The existing hole is directly under the seal.  Can the
> magnet be moved away from the strip so it's close to the switch, but
> not on top of it?  Pardon my ignorance - new DIY'r here.
>
>> 1/2" recessed switch and drill a 3/8" hole below it in the door for a
>> recessed magnet
> Do I have to pay attention to the magnets that are designed for metal
> doors?  One is a garage door and the other is a set of two french
> doors.  Both are clad in metal but I believe have an insulated core.

Yes, you can offset the magnet slightly. Don't disturb the seal. Do not use
a flat magnet. Get the rare earth button magnets, they come in 3/8 and 1/2
inch, and have a lot more power than a flat magnet. This will safely allow
the offset. Use a brad-point bit to recess the mag into the sash. Block the
bit so the hole will only go as deep as the magnet is thick. Someone will be
along shortly to say this may void your window warranty, so check it out. I
have never had a problem in 25 years.

--
js

- The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
( Also, the harder they bite, punch, and kick.)