Re: Window Sensors

> You musta heard me cursing from CT!!

Oh, that was you?  I wondered.

> I had to re-do all those freeking switches without a  helper. I was
> there all frrking day.  It wasn't a direct hit either.

If it wasn't a direct hit then it probably entered through one
building's ground and exited through another, passing through your
electronics along the way.  I must admit I've only done a few homes
with wire grid beneath stucco.  I'll take your word for it that the
stuff causes problems.  One problem with wiring multiple buildings to
a single panel is there's almost never a way to do a bonded ground.
I'd rather throw in an extra panel than wire them together.

By coincidence, a customer of mine recently ordered eight
Vista-128FBP panels for use in multiple dwellings.  Against my advice
he decided to wire them all together.  At least he has seven spares
for use after the next seven lightning storms.  :^)

> After that incident and one other like it...I don't do many
> recessed anymore unless it's necessary (casements or customs)

I hear you.  BTW, one of the few times when we lost Sentrol (now GE
Security) switches to lightning I called the manufacturer to ask for
recommendations to avoid a repeat performance.  I explained that
lightning had hit the system and about 10 of my switches were ruined.
They sent me 20 units (two-for-one replacement).  These were a mix of
surface and recessed sensors.  Somehow I doubt GE would be as nice as
Sentrol used to be.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass