Re: Alarm systems, what do you have?

Robert L Bass wrote:
>> Yeah, and it's way more of a PITA than it needs to be...
>
> The first time I programmed anything from DSC was
> about 8 or 9 years ago.  It was an 832.  I read the
> programming instructions, filled in the programming
> sheet and entered the program in about 30 minutes.
> It would have taken less time but I had to read the
> instructions first.

Well that's the point: one shouldn't have to do up worksheets first,
especially if all one needs to change is one or two options.  If I enter
a bitmapped location that affects options A, B, C and D, and all I want
to do is change the behaviour of option C, I still have to make sure I
have the rest of the entry correct for the other locations, lest I break
something else.  That's just silly.  I should be able to enter installer
mode, select the location for the *one* option I want to change, enter
said change, and be done.

> As I think about what you've said, I wonder if my
> background in programming might be the reason I find
> it simple where you might not.  No disrespect intended.
> As part of the early courses we practiced math in
> binary and hexadecimal.  That could explain why it's
> a PITA to some and not to others.  I don't know for
> certain though.  It's just a guess.  Your thoughts?

I came from a (limited) programming background as well.  6502/6510
assembler, BASIC, some machine code...

That type of programming is just fine... if you're living in 1983.  Or,
I guess, if your panel is using 1983 technology.