Re: Firewolf 4-wire Napco 816 gives E41

> Hmmm, someone here is quick to correct others...
> I always use zone 8 as a smoke zone because
> + Fire Power is right next to it, then the - Fire Power wire is the
> only wild one traveling to the other side
> of the circuit board...

So do I for the same reason.  However, it was wrong
to state that only zone 7 or 8 are for fire alarm.  In
fact, if the need ever arose you could use every zone
on the panel as a smoke zone.

> It's a neatness thing, I just assumed (whoops) the
> OP had done the same...

That's a reasonable assumption.  However, the question
was raised as to which zones could be used for smoke.
The correct answer is any zone or zones -- not 7 or 8.

> What led me to that assumption, the OP stated, "I
> have a Napco 816 with a Firewolf 4-wire smoke. It
> has an EOL on it and it lights up fine, green lights
> blink, etc.  The keypad gives me an E41 error on that
> zone, however. It's set as a standard Fire zone"....

Agreed.  That is what the gentleman said.

> His statement led me to believe he had checked the
> two wires at the panel that are used for smoke zone trigger by
> reading the resister installed at the
> smoke head with a Meter...

Unfortunately, that is not a reasonable assumption.
It may be correct, but IME it's best to ask if he checked
the resistance.  I usually just mention to my DIY clients
that the appropriate resistor for a 4-wire smoke on a
Napco system is 2.2K, which has 3 red bands.  All too
often I receive calls from folks trying to diagnose a
system which someone else (a porofessional) has
installed and learn that they don't own a meter.  I usually
suggest a quick trip to RatShak for a meter.  They sell
for as little as $15 or $20 and most DIYers don't need
anything fancy.  It's also common to find DIYers and
professional primates alike who are not familiar with the
resistor color code.  You've been in the trade long
enough to have seen the same thing, I assume. Whoops :)

> Which made me think he had NOT properly terminated
> zone 8 on the circuit board. If someone is unfamiliar
> with Napco, that could easily happen...

That is true, especially if using zones 7 or 8 since Napco
arranges them differently from the first six zones.  When
I first saw that many years ago even I thought it strange.
They do so, as I'm sure you know, to facilitate use of
the switched fire power terminal.  I always remind DIY
clients of this if they're using Napco.  It helps avoid
confusion.

So yes, we agree that it was possible the gentleman
miswired the zone.  I only corrected the other two
primates because of Leuck's primate comment.

> The OP also stated, "It's set to a standard fire zone".
> Zone 7 & 8 can either be a Standard Fire Zones, or
> Two-Wire Fire Zones used with Two-Wire Smoke
> Detectors....  Again, I might be misunderstanding
> his statements, but I believe a reasonable person
> can see why I would do that...

I must be a reasonable primate since I agree with
you.  However, it wasn't your comment that led to this
discussion.  The OP asked, "Should I only use zone
7 or 8 for this, even though it's a 4-fire?"

CG replied to that query, "7 or 8."  That was incorrect.
Leuck chimed in with the primate comment.  I thought
it funny since neither he nor CG realized they were
wrong.  It's no big deal, really.  Anywhere except ASA
it would have been ignored.  :^)

> Maybe because I've actually installed GEM P816's.......
> Enough said....

Not quite.  I've also "actually installed" Gemini P816
systems.  However, I prefer their larger cousins, the
P3200 and P9600.  The wiring is pretty much the
same but the larger panels allowed us to wire each
door, window, motion and glass break sensor to a
separate zone.  I always offered full perimeter protection
which made it easier to win while bidding against lower
primates.  It's easier to maintain a system with each
sensor wired separately so I've sold far more P3200
and P9600 systems, both DIY and professionally
installed.

BTW, I still find it funny that some folks get bent out
of shape because some years ago I said that any
primate can learn to install an alarm.  At the time
one of the idiots said he was insulted that I considered
him a primate.  No one else even noticed how stupid
that was.  I guess none of the professional primates
got past high school freshman biology.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics