Re: Area Code Change: Ademco Vista 50

David Bahde wrote:

> The cost is quoted as  "a $150 minimum charge for this service."  This
> is in Chicagoland.  I think it is a large provider here in
> Chicagoland.
>
> The system was installed 10 years ago; the person I purchased the
> system from 'merged' with the existing company.
>
> My issue is the three weeks it took to notify me when I pay for a
> monitored service, and what seems to me to be taking advantage of a
> situation that I believe could be easily rectified.

You are correct.  Your provider should have the software available to
download your panel and make the necessary changes without an actual
service visit.  Furthermore, if the area code change doesn't involve
anything that *you* did, the provider should be taking the initiative
and making those changes necessary to maintain their customer base and
their obligations under the contract.  You aren't responsible for the
area code change.  Have a look at your contract wording.  I believe
you'll be able to argue (successfully) that they must provide the
service if you've paid the monitoring fee.

> I have no alarm security experience beyond adding / deleting users,
> but do have experience in computer programming, so I anticipated being
> able to follow a set of instructions to change the phone number.
>
> Am I off base here?

Way off.  Access to installer level programming on a monitored security
system is restricted for a very good reason.