Re: An email from yoursecuritysource.com's hosting provider

Nomen Nescio wrote:
>> One thing he's not posted is the Injunction and perhaps the wording in tha=
> t=20
>> is what prohibits him from posting the links to the AlarmsBC website as we=
> ll.
>
> Here is the relevant part of the judge's order.  It started out as a
> temporary restraining order, and was later converted to a preliminary
> injunction.
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>
> -----
>
> ACCORDINGLY, IT IS HEREBY ORDERED AS FOLLOWS:
> Defendant Jim Rojas, and his agents, servants, and employees, and all
> parties in active concert or participation with him (including all parties
> providing him with internet access), are hereby enjoined and restrained
> from publishing, publicizing, distributing, or disseminating Brink=92s trad=
> secrets, such as the lockout codes on Brink=92s control panels; the softwar=
> e,
> methods and/or codes by which the Brink=92s programmer works; methods of
> resetting, erasing, or changing lockout codes on Brink=92s control panels;
> any other methods of circumventing the lockout codes on Brink=92s control
> panels; or the content of Brink=92s installation or programming manuals,
> instructions, methods and/or procedures.

I don't see what I have done violates the injunction (I don't provide
him with internet access) or ehosting's TOS.  First and foremost, there
are no "Brinks" control panels or "Brinks" programmers.  The control
panels are manufactured by Scantronic, Intellisense, and Honeywell.  The
programmers are manufactured by DTI, Scantronic, and Honeywell.  The
panels Brinks purchases are silk-screened with their logo as are the
hand-held programmers their installers use.  We get the same service on
some of the equipment we buy (in bulk).  That doesn't give me the right
to tell someone that the equipment belongs to me (the contract that the
customer signs lays out those specific conditions).  As I stated
earlier, they will have a hard time proving they have any intellectual
property rights to any of the equipment (manuals included).  They may
have some "right" to the earlier manuals as it appears Brinks re-wrote
them using their own formatting and wording.

As for the installer codes...  Jim's software only provides the standard
default codes for Ademco's Vista 20 system.  There are no "Brinks"
specific installer codes nor does the information contain the method to
circumvent their equipment (unless of course they're dumb enough not to
engage the local programming lockout on the panels which they retain
ownership to).  Heck...  if I wanted to "circumvent" their equipment,
I'd just change out the panel and keypad anyway.  Why would I want
unsupervised junk installed at my customer's premise?