Re: CP-01

> Apparently so, it must be hard to find a decent
> Brazilian brew in Florida or anywhere else for
> that matter, but I didn't realise the lengths you
> would go to find a similar tasting alternative.

Heh heh heh.

All kidding aside, they do make some very fine
beers in Brazil.  You really ought to visit there
some day.  I rarely drink and when I do I limit it
to one or two beers.  I've tried a few Canadian
brews and found them tasteless.  US beer is
mostly boring.

When I went to Rio de Janeiro about 5 or 6
years ago there was a bar around the corner
from my hotel called the "Instituto de Shoppe".
Instituto means what it sounds like.  Shoppe
is a term for beer.  This place has something
on the order of 200+ brands of beer -- all of
them Brazilian brews.  I didn't even realize
there were that many brands on the planet --
much less in one city.

There's a Brazilian beer called Nova Schin that
is imported to the USA.  Try it some time.
Another popular brand is Brahma.  It's got a
rich flavor and many Americans might not like
it because it's so different.  Lastly, if you like
dark beer, they make a brand called Xingo
(pronounced "SHEEN-goo").

Once you've tried Brazilian beer, the next
step is to sample their cachaca (kuh-SHA-suh).
It's a powerful sugar cane brandy that they
pour over ice with lemon and granulated sugar
to make a drink called caipirinha (pronounced
Keye-per-ENN-yuh).

Since I rarely drink I can't tell you who makes
the best cachaca.  I can tell you that those
are some tasty brews and caipirinhas are
great.  Now if I could only figure out how to
drink more than one of them and retain the
ability to walk or dance I'd consider myself
almost Brazilian.  :^)

BTW, you've probably heard the old joke
that the difference between a 2 and a 10 is
about a dozen beers.  In Brazil it's hard to
find anything less than an 8 and 10's are
everywhere.  It's a fabulous place to visit. I
enjoy the rare privelege of owning homes in
the USA and in Brazil.  You sometimes like
to poke fun at the place but you have no
idea what an incredible place it is.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass