Re: cost of installation- hard wired panic buttons

> You asked a lot of questions,
> I hope they were rhetorical. ;-)

Yep.  I only wanted to make a point.
I wasn't using specific figures as
though they are actual.  I have no
idea what the average firm in SoCal
gets.  For your sake I hope it's lots.  :^)

> I understand what you're saying.
> You brought up some good points.

You did as well.

> I know an installer in the area that
> only charges $45 an hour. I've seen
> his work, and he has a good reputation.

IMO that's more important than whether
he has a bond or $2M in liability coverage.
That doesn't mean bonding and insurance
are unimportant though.

> Based on his rate, though, I'd guess he's not "legit."...

It's p-ossible that he's willing to take a
lower rate just to gain enough accounts
to become stable.  As I'm sure you know,
monitoring is the most important profit
center for most stable alarm companies.
By accepting a lower rate he may be
countering the "zero down" deals which
the authorized dealer programs promote.
Without knowing more about his
operation I doubt either of us could say
for sure how stable his business is.

> Could be, but I doubt it. (For one, he
> doesn't charge anything more for his
> helper, when he needs one.) But, his
> work is good, IMO. Very clean installs.

Only time will tell.

> In any event, I wasn't trying to invalidate
> what you had stated... Just adding
> another layer of consideration...

I didn't think you were.  You make a valid
point.  If they charge too little for their work
one has to wonder what areas are being
ignored.

> The spread between $70 and $85 isn't that big of a deal...

That was sort of inverse hyperbole... not
intended as significant.

> The spread between $20 and $70 (and
> in our area $120) should raise some
> flags at both ends....