Re: 3M tape failing on sensors

saabcaptain@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I mounted some Ademco 5816 wireless window/door sensors on several
> windows in my home using 3M tape. Due to space requirements the box is
> attached to the glass and magnet on the sill. About 4 months after the
> install I had a box fall off a window. What is the best way to attach
> the box to the glass for a secure install?
>
> Thanks.

I'm not really sure what you mean about "space requirements".  I haven't
seen a window where you couldn't mount the transmitter on a part of the
wall immediately adjacent to it.  "Best practice" is to drill up (or
sideways) from the window frame a few inches into the wall space
(through the header or the adjacent wall stud).  Then drill a hole into
the wall where it will intersect the first one you drilled.  Mount your
transmitter over the hole in the wall.  Fish a concealed contact (with
pig tails) through the hole in the frame and into the back of the
transmitter housing.  Use a rare earth type magnet on the opening window
frame.  The installation will look neat and professional.  If you plan
it right you can even hide the unit behind the curtains so you can't see it.