Re: ASI Internet Communicator

"Mark Leuck" <m..leuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4679e4f8$0$24780$4c368faf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Hooked two wires to the panel phone connection,
>> > plugged it into the switch, and powered it up.
>> > Shaaawing!.  Programmed the panel just like a
>> > phone line except I disabled dial tone detection.
>>
>> This is what I meant when I said Internet downloads
>> should be easy.  Done right it should be no more
>> trouble (often less) than working over a phone line.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Robert L Bass
>
> No it would be more difficult, you'd have to have a module on your end and
> know the IP address of his module which usually changes

Actually it all depends on what your are talking about.  This particular
module is just for reporting.  Not remote programming.  Now, as to an
example of a module that allows you to program like Napco has (for their
high end panels)... No you don't need a module at the other end.  Just the
latest release of the software that supports it loaded on a PC with a
broadband connection.  You do have to be able to find the module however.
That requires either a static public IP address or a dyndns service
application running on one computer on the network so you can easily
determine the public IP address at any given time.  (some routers also
support dynsdns services directly).

Easier vs more difficult...  that is relative.  Depends on the knowledge and
experience of the tech doing the job.

--
Sincerly,
The guy who makes the final decision on who we buy from.

The Security Consultant
Bob La Londe - Owner
P.O. Box 5720
Yuma, Az 85366