Re: ASI Internet Communicator

"Bob La Londe" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4679f67f$0$16389$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Mark Leuck" <m..leuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > "Robert L Bass" <RobertLBass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >>
> >> This is what I meant when I said Internet downloads
> >> should be easy.  Done right it should be no more
> >> trouble (often less) than working over a phone line.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Robert L Bass
> >
> > No it would be more difficult, you'd have to have a module on your end
and
> > know the IP address of his module which usually changes
>
> Actually it all depends on what your are talking about.  This particular
> module is just for reporting.  Not remote programming.  Now, as to an
> example of a module that allows you to program like Napco has (for their
> high end panels)... No you don't need a module at the other end.  Just the
> latest release of the software that supports it loaded on a PC with a
> broadband connection.  You do have to be able to find the module however.
> That requires either a static public IP address or a dyndns service
> application running on one computer on the network so you can easily
> determine the public IP address at any given time.  (some routers also
> support dynsdns services directly).

It depends on the equipment, for example a week or so ago someone brought up
LoBenn which requires you to use a module connected to your standard
download modem to connect, if the module is a dialer capture setup then it
will be difficult

A static IP is fine however it won't be available for residentials, as far
as determining the ip address it's not hard getting the ip of the computer
however most computers use a router and few people have ever dealt with
that. Add to that the need in many cases to open a hole in the firewall for
incoming ip traffic and you've got lots of fun going.

Honeywell gets around all that by having everything go through them and
their servers track the IP's of whatever connects to them, I've done a
number of IP downloads through them