Re: ASI Internet Communicator

>> No it would be more difficult, you'd
>> have to have a module on your end
>> and know the IP address of his
>> module which usually changes...

Since we're talking about future systems
it's safe to assume the systems will include
a means of locating the dynamic address.
The most common way of doing this is the
same as is used in cheap web cams. Each
time the cam logs on the app contacts a
dedicated site, sending it's ID information
and IP address.  This is simple stuff that's
been in use on very inexpensive hardware
for years.

> Actually it all depends on what your are
> talking about.  This particular module is
> just for reporting.  Not remote programming.

Even if the module were for programming
and/or remote control, finding a DHCP device
is trivial.

> Easier vs more difficult...  that is relative.
> Depends on the knowledge and experience of the tech doing the job.

Precisely.  What I've found is that the
*average* DIYer is more capable or at least
more inclined to acquire the skills and the
knowledge to do it than the *average*
alarm company customer.  Very few who
could install their own alarm would have
trouble handling Internet functionality.

"It's so easy even a Texan could do it."
(apologies to Geiko)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass