Re: Difference between digital phone and VOIP

>> Agreed.  However, there are many millions of
>> existing systems which currently use POTS and
>> will soon be sitting behind VoIP.  I expect we'll also
>> see plenty of Alarm-Internet "dialers" offered to
>> fill the coming market niche.  This would be
>> a great opportunity for that Loxxon character.  :^)
>
> Do you think there is a real market opportunity
> there?

Absolutely, but the Loxxon remark was facetious.

> One of my clients is possibly interested in us
> making a unit like that, and we were kicking
> some ideas around.  Basically a networked
> POST-simulator that understands SIA and CID.

Anything that can be used as a bridge between
an analog panel and the digital world might be
marketable... for a while.  However, within a few
years analog will be dead.  Panels will come
equipped for IP comms right out of the box.  It's
not there yet but I belive it will be soon.

> Possibly with a socket for a GSM module too.

That would be attractive to a portion of the DIY
market.  Unfortunately for anyone hoping to
gain a slice of the alarm manufacturing pie,
DIY is probably less than 10% (possibly much
less) of the market.  You're more likely to be
successful developing something that emphasizes
professional monitoring.

> It would be a bit problematic to allow
> up/downloading unless you work
> out the specifics with each panel mfg, but
> reporting would be easy.

If the unit emulates a POTS connection,
up/downloading should be a cinch.

> I wasn't too enthusiastic about it, since I
> figured it must have been done already --
> do you know of such a widget?

It may exist but I'm not aware of it.  That wouldn't
be the first time though.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass