Re: installing keypad in unprotected area

> Is there any problem with installing a keypad for an alarm in an
> unprotected part of the house. Are the keypads gennerally tamperproof
> (this would be for a NAPCO 9600 alarm.)

With Napco this will not be a problem.  Tampering with the
keypads will not disable the alarm system.  Because Napco
uses separately fused power for the keypads, even shorting
them out will not stop or disarm the alarm.

However, in most cases placing the keypad outside the
protected area is considered bad practice.  This would be
a concern if the installation was being certified.  If it's an
ordinary professional job or even a DIY installation, that's
not an issue.

Is there a special reason why you need the keypad to be
in an unprotected area?  If it's to avoid using a delay on
the entry door you might consider using Napco's 2-way
keyfobs.  These allow you to arm and disarm from outside
with no entry delay.  The "2-way" part means the keyfob
receives a signal back from the panel telling you if the
system is armed, disarmed or in an alarm state.  I have
information on the Napco "2-Way Universal" keyfobs at
the following URL:

http://www.bassburglaralarms.com/product_439_detailed.htm

The prices on our site are retail.  If you're in the trade your
distributor will have lower prices.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass